What May Students Wear to School?
Student dress is a shared responsibility between the home and the school.
We expect our students to present a consistent, acceptable appearance in dress, attitude, and performance. The purpose of the uniform dress code is to keep distractions at school to a minimum and to allow our students and teachers to focus on the important work taking place each and every day in the classroom.
It is recommended that all clothing, particularly outerwear, be labeled with the child’s name in permanent ink.
The dress code applies to grades PK-5. JPK students do not wear uniforms.
- The school logo in white or navy is required on all polo shirts and polo dresses. On other clothing items it is optional. The full color logo is not used on uniforms.
- Shirts must be tucked in at all times. Please arrive at school with it tucked in.
- Visible brand name labels or logos are not acceptable on clothing worn in the classroom.
- All students should have a white uniform shirt for special performances and graduation days (when specified). At these events, girls wear a navy or khaki skirt or jumper and a white shirt, and boys wear navy or khaki slacks and a white shirt.
- Your child should keep a uniform sweater or sweatshirt at school.
- Please label all clothing.
- A modestly stocked used uniform closet is maintained during the school year and runs on the honor system. Contact the front office for information.
- Occasional free dress days and Bright School T-shirt days will be explained and announced during the school year.
- Button down, long or short sleeve in white, light blue, pale yellow.
- Knit polo (boys & girls) with collar, long or short sleeve in white, light blue, pale yellow, navy, evergreen. All polo shirts are required to have the Bright School logo in white on navy and evergreen shirts and in navy on white, light blue and pale yellow shirts. All students should have a white shirt for special events.
- Turtleneck in white, light blue, pale yellow, navy, evergreen
- Striped rugby in long or short sleeve, navy and evergreen (only available in used uniform sale). Must have the Bright School logo.
- Girl’s blouse (Peter Pan collar style) in long or short sleeve, in white, light blue, pale yellow; piping is acceptable (plain front only).
- V-neck or cardigan in white, navy, evergreen
- Vest in navy or evergreen
- Uniform dress code collared shirt is required underneath all uniform sweaters.
- Crew neck or zipper front style in solid white, navy, evergreen with or without hoods and Bright School logo
- ¾ zip pull-over raincoat and athletic jacket; navy with Bright School logo (available only at Educational Outfitters).
- Uniform dress code collared shirt is required underneath all uniform dress code sweatshirts.
- The only official printed sweatshirts that are acceptable for uniform wear in the classroom are the Property of Bright School gray sweatshirt or the Bright plaid gray sweatshirt which are sold in the school bookstore.
- All other sweatshirts are considered as outerwear only (this includes the Bright School athletic sweatshirts which denote specific sports played and Bright School spirit wear which is sold in the bookstore).
- Slacks or shorts in solid navy or khaki
- Corduroy is acceptable.
- No jeans styling or cargo pockets are permitted.
- A brown, black, or navy belt is required when slacks or shorts have loops. Belts purchased in the bookstore are permitted.
- PK and kindergarten students may wear elastic waist pants with no belt.
- Tennis shoes are required daily. Shoes may not leave marks on any flooring surface. Lace-ups or Velcro are required instead of slip-ons.
- Tennis shoes are not permitted to have lights, sounds, or wheels.
- Loafers, sandals, flip-flops, Mary-Jane’s dress shoes or boots are not acceptable.
- Socks in solid white, solid black, solid evergreen or solid navy must be visible above the shoe. Boy socks should be no longer than mid shin. Girls may wear knee socks in solid white, solid black, solid evergreen or solid navy.
- No restrictions on outerwear
- Outerwear is limited to wear to and from school, recess, or during Bright Afternoons and after school activities.
Additional Items for Girls
- Jumper in solid navy, khaki, or official plaid (from Educational Outfitters and Land’s End only)
- Skirt or skort in solid navy, khaki, or official plaid; no cargo styles
- Polo style dress in solid navy or evergreen (from Educational Outfitters and Land’s End only). Must have The Bright School logo in white.
- All items must be no shorter than mid-thigh.
- Shorts or leggings are required under jumpers, dresses and skirts every day.
- Tights and leggings in solid, plain white, gray or navy (no patterns, lace, ruffled edge or embellishments)
- Hair bows, ribbons, headbands in white, khaki, navy, evergreen, pale yellow, light blue, or official plaid.
- All accessories should be minimal and non-distracting.
Where May I Purchase Uniform Items?
Shop online at our school store on LandsEnd.com or at Educational Outfitters located at 2271 Gunbarrel Rd, Suite 107, Chattanooga, TN 37421. Clothing found under Bright School meets dress code and exceeds expectations.
Shirts may only be embroidered by Lands' End, Educational Outfitters, Net Specialties or Threads on Signal. Only the official logo in navy or white provided by the school may be used. There will be designated times for drop off of shirts at the office for embroidery with Net Specialties and Threads on Signal. You may also shop directly at Threads.
Shirts, pants and shorts, jumpers, skirts and skorts in navy or khaki also may be purchased at a variety of stores such as Old Navy, Target, The Children's Place and department stores.
Used uniform sales are scheduled in the summer and on Registration Day.