All Alumni Are Members
The Bright School Alumni Association seeks to promote the interests and welfare of the school, to create and maintain an ongoing mutually beneficial relationship between the school and alumni, and further the school's mission and values through its alumni.
Every person who has graduated from The Bright School is a member of the Alumni Association.
Fletcher Bright ’43 Distinguished Alumnus Award
This award is given to alumni who have exhibited brilliant and distinguished lifelong work in a significant field of endeavor or service.
Mai Bell Hurley '40 in 2014
Franklin McCallie '52 in 2016
Henry Aldridge '55 in 2018
Jack McDonald ’45 Service Award
This award is given to alumni who have contributed significantly to the welfare of Bright School and exemplified the highest standards of the school through selfless devotion to the interests of the school.
Gordon P. Street Jr. ’50 in 2014
Lucy Bright Thatcher '41 in 2016
Fontaine Patten Moore '55 in 2018
Citizen of the World Award
This award recognizes alumni who are fulfilling the school's mission: "The Bright School builds a foundation upon which students become wise and compassionate citizens of the world. Its century of progress fosters the intellectual, artistic, physical, and moral growth of young boys and girls." To be eligible for the award, alumni must be current students in high school (grades 9-12), college. or graduate school. The winning alumni demonstrate leadership in service to others in the broader community.
Mimi Vance '10 in 2017
Ben Workinger '10 in 2018
Pierson Brown '11 in 2019
Sana Nisar '13 and Julia Fisher '13 in 2020
Fort Wood Society
The Bright School has been located at six different addresses in Chattanooga since its founding in 1913 by Mary G. Bright. The current location off Hixson Pike in North Chattanooga has been the site of the school since 1963, graduating its first class that spring.
Prior to the current location, the school was located at 833 Fort Wood Street on what is now the campus of The University of Tennessee at Chattanooga from 1924 to 1962. Alumni who attended The Bright School at this location have special memories of the building and Miss Bright that the school believes are important to its history. All four previous locations of the school were at various addresses along McCallie Avenue.
The Fort Wood Society was established in 2017 for all alumni who attended school at this location.